Gingered Yellow Pepper ‘n’ Broccoli
This side dish from our Test Kitchen will work well with any mild-flavored main course. The pretty, colorful side is lightly touched with ginger and orange peel, making it crisp and refreshing.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the broccoli and water. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute yellow pepper in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Stir broccoli; microwave 1 minute longer or until tender. Add the ginger, orange zest, salt and pepper to yellow pepper. Drain broccoli; add to pepper mixture and toss to coat.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 54 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Broccoli Yellow Pepper Medley in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.