"My bread machine makes a 1-pound loaf, which is just the right size for me since I live alone," writes Lois Lovejoy of Waupun, Wisconsin. This compact loaf has a hint of ginger.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1 pound).
Originally published as Gingered White Bread in Quick Cooking November/December 2002, p34