Gingered Short Ribs
This is a flavorful dish made with meaty short ribs, cabbage, carrots and scallions. It makes a complete meal that is robust and rich.—Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and halved widthwise
- 2 large carrots, halved widthwise
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small head cabbage, quartered
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Hot cooked couscous, optional
- Place the ribs, parsnips and carrots in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic and pepper flakes; pour over ribs. Top with cabbage. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in sesame oil. Serve with meat and vegetables. Sprinkle with green onions. Serve with couscous if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without couscous) : 603 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 1354mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 9g fiber), 42g protein.
Originally published as ASIAN GINGERED SHORT RIBS in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.