Gingered Short Ribs with Green Rice
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup sherry or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients until blended. Place carrots and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper; place over vegetables. Pour broth mixture over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Just before serving, prepare rice according to package directions. Stir in green onions, cilantro, jalapenos and lime zest.
- Remove ribs to a serving plate; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs and rice.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 444 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 24g protein.
Aug 16, 2019
My hubby loves ginger, so I increased the amount of ginger by about 1/3, but after cooking we can hardly taste any ginger flavor. It still tastes pretty good but lacks the ginger flavor that I was hoping for. Other than the ginger, I followed the recipe precisely.
Feb 24, 2015
This was a huge hit with my husband and picky teenager! Boneless ribs were less expensive and I was pressed for time in the morning so I set the slow cooker to high and about four hours later my boys were asking for seconds.
Dec 17, 2014
Excellent Recipe! This will be one of my go to recipes for busy days, and for company! I was so impressed by the flavor, and tenderness of the ribs. I could not find short ribs at my grocer, so I substituted spare ribs. I also squeezed lime all over the rice for an extra burst of flavor, and instead of 1/2 cup of beef broth, I used a full cup! Thank you for sharing your wonderful creation!
Dec 9, 2014
This was very good. I made it with a boneless pork roast, because that was on sale at my local grocery store ($2.99/lb vs $7.99/lb for beef short ribs), I just cut the roast into rib-size pieces. I did not make the green rice, because we don't like cilantro or jalapenos. I substituted basmati rice cooked in beef broth instead. Served steamed broccoli with it. We enjoyed it very much.
Dec 1, 2014
Delicious, soft, and tender meat. The sauce gives it a good flavor, though it is not strongly Korean. The green rice is really good and is worth making. I made it as written except for substituting brown sugar for the honey. Straining out the sauce, separating the fat, and then thickening it and adding it back really helps reduce the fattiness of this cut of meat.
Mar 8, 2012
Awesome..My son gave it a 9 and my husband and I gave it 10s. Incredible. I did make one subsitution. I did not have any honey so I used maple syrup (something my grandmother did when she didn't have honey) Nobody noticed
Feb 15, 2012
The rice was excellent and smelled great. The meat was good but I felt it either had too much of something or not enough; I couldn't put my finger on it.
Jan 23, 2012
pinkpotatoes ~ I hope you get this! I don't do beef short ribs for that very reason. I'm here just for the rice and seasonings part of the recipe. I intend to use Country Style Boneless Pork Ribs.Good Luck ~ Kitzer
Jan 23, 2012
I am actually not reviewing this but it looks and sounds fabulous. What I really would like to know is, where did you find short ribs with so much meat on them? The only ones I see here are so much bone and fat that we hardly get any meat!
Mar 29, 2011
This was AMAZING! You could easily make this with a pot roast as well. Next time I will add a little more ginger but other than that wont stray from the recipe. The green rice was a perfect compliment!