Gingered Peas and Water Chestnuts
Frozen peas star in Gingered Peas and Water Chestnuts, which is suggested by reader Joan Solberg (below) of Ashland. "My friend started making this as a special treat for Christmas because it has such a nice combination of flavors and textures," Joan shares. "It's one of my favorite dishes, so I serve it at home and for potlucks all year-round."
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen peas
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and halved
- 1 jar (4 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- 5 green onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1. Set aside 1/4 cup broth. In a large saucepan, combine the vegetables, butter, seasonings and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and reserved broth until smooth; stir into pea mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
1 cup: 113 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC