Gingered Pear Sorbet
During the hot summer here in Florida, we enjoy this refreshing sorbet," says Donna Cline of Pensacola. "Sometimes I dress up servings with berries, mint leaves or crystallized ginger."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 1 can (29 ounces) pear halves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- Drain pears, reserving 1 cup syrup (discard remaining syrup or save for another use); set pears aside. In a saucepan, bring sugar and reserved syrup to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In a blender, process the pears, lemon juice and ginger until smooth. Add cooled syrup and food coloring if desired; cover and process until pureed. Pour into an 11x7-in. dish. Cover and freeze for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until partially frozen.
- Return mixture to blender; cover and process until smooth. Place in a freezer container; cover and freeze for at least 3 hours. Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 135 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Gingered Pear Sorbet in Taste of Home June/July 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.