Gingered Pear Crisp
Here's a delicious variation on a classic apple crisp. The spark provided by the ginger complements the delicate flavor of pears. It's awesome served a la mode.—Helen Conwell, Fairhope, Alabama
- 4 pounds pears, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup pear nectar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup blanched almonds, toasted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons crushed vanilla wafers
- 4 teaspoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 pint caramel and vanilla ice cream
- 1. Place pears in a large bowl; sprinkle with cornstarch and toss to coat. Combine the pear nectar, sugar and lemon juice; pour over pears and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- 2. For topping, in a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, almonds, vanilla wafers, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over pear mixture.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream.
1 each: 620 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 9g fiber), 8g protein.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC