Gingered Pear Crisp
Here's a delicious variation on a classic apple crisp. The spark provided by the ginger complements the delicate flavor of pears. It's awesome served a la mode.—Helen Conwell, Fairhope, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 50 min.
- 4 pounds pears, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup pear nectar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup blanched almonds, toasted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons crushed vanilla wafers
- 4 teaspoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 pint caramel and vanilla ice cream
- Place pears in a large bowl; sprinkle with cornstarch and toss to coat. Combine the pear nectar, sugar and lemon juice; pour over pears and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- For topping, in a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, almonds, vanilla wafers, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over pear mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 620 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 9g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Gingered Pear and Almond Crisp with Caramel Swirl Ice Cream in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.