Gingered Orange Beets
My husband was pleasantly surprised when he tried my new twist on beets. The orange and ginger are a surprising compliment, making this particular vegetable a wonderful addition to any holiday table. —Marion Tipton, Phoenix, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds whole fresh beets (about 4 medium), trimmed and cleaned
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1/3 cup pecan halves, toasted
- Brush beets with 4 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap loosely in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 70-75 minutes or until fork-tender. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, orange juice concentrate, 1 teaspoon orange zest, ginger and remaining oil; set aside.
- Peel beets and cut into wedges; place in a serving bowl. Add the orange sections and pecans. Drizzle with orange sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining orange zest.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 342 calories, 27g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Roasted Beets with Orange and Ginger in Taste of Home December/January 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.