Gingered Maple Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 18 pecan halves
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Beat in syrup and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, ginger, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in pecans.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese, brown sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in syrup and vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Frost cupcakes; top each with a pecan half. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 425 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 348mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 28, 2015
Made this and took to work. Everyone enjoyed them, I received many compliments. They were amazing! I would make the frosting first as it needs to chill for an hour. I also would use half the butter, 4oz. cream cheese and maple flavoring to taste. As far as the cake batter I would use a 1/2 tsp. ginger, cinnamon, allspice and 1/4 cup of nuts. I used black walnuts as well.
Dec 9, 2010
It had a very unique taste. I guess maybe I put to much ginger in it. It was a bit over powering and not really the sweet taste you normally except from a cupcake.
Nov 17, 2010
I made the cupcakes without the nuts (because of allergies) and they were very yummy. They were a great hit at the Bridge club. I will make them again very soon.
Nov 17, 2010
Hi Sakya. Just a fancy way of saying use yummy vanilla extract.
Nov 16, 2010
What is that spice? Spice Islands®, All Natural, No Corn Syrup Added, Pure Vanilla ExtractWe see that in all recipe now
Nov 15, 2010
I have not made these yet, however my husband LOVES maple. I will make these soon and I know I will be making these again and again!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.