Gingered Cranberry Scones
These are fabulous for breakfast or as a snack with tea in the afternoon. The tender scones are flavored with crystallized ginger and bits of cranberry.—Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk sour cream and egg; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in the cranberries, ginger and lemon peel. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Divide dough in half; pat each into a 7-in. circle. Cut each into six wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with cream; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 254 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Gingered Cranberry Scones in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.