Gingered Cranberry Scones
These are fabulous for breakfast or as a snack with tea in the afternoon. The tender scones are flavored with crystallized ginger and bits of cranberry.—Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk sour cream and egg; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in the cranberries, ginger and lemon zest. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Divide dough in half; pat each into a 7-in. circle. Cut each into six wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with cream; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 254 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Gingered Cranberry Scones in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011