Gingered Citrus-Avocado Salad
"A citrusy dressing served over a combination of fruits makes this salad so refreshing," says Ruby Williams of Bogalusa, Louisiana. "We enjoy the mix of flavors—mellow avocado, tangy grapefruit and toasted pecans."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 large navel oranges, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the oranges, grapefruit and pineapple; cover and refrigerate until serving. In another bowl, combine the sour cream, milk, brown sugar, orange zest, ginger and nutmeg. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Divide lettuce and avocado among six salad plates. Using a slotted spoon, arrange fruit over lettuce. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with nuts.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 206 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 45mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.
Oct 2, 2011
WOW!! My husband and I really enjoy this salad. It's so refreshing after a workout at the gym. Sometimes I add a can of white chicken on top when we are wanting some protein.