Gingered Carrot Chutney
“Tangy and bright, this tasty chutney can top cheese spread on crackers or be spooned on a dinner plate alongside any type of meat. A jar of it also makes a nice holiday gift.” —Deb Darr, Falls City, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Process: 10 min.
- 4 pounds carrots, sliced
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Place carrots in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until very tender. Drain carrots; puree in a food processor.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove peel from oranges and half of the lemon; cut peel into long narrow strips. Remove remaining peel from lemon and the white pith from lemon and oranges; thinly slice fruit, discarding seeds.
- Place pickling spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Place in a Dutch oven. Add the sugar, vinegar and citrus peels; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in carrots and sliced fruit. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Discard spice bag. Stir in the coconut, ginger and pepper sauce.
- Carefully ladle hot chutney into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.