Gingered Butternut Squash
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Place squash in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, beat squash with butter and syrup. Beat in the ginger, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Gradually add cream until blended. Transfer to a serving bowl; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 180 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 9g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Nov 2, 2014
Needed more flavor, added brown sugar but it didn't help much.
Nov 18, 2012
We loved this dish!
Nov 27, 2011
If I make these again I would make sure to hand mash them instead of using a beater. With the beater, it became more of a soup then being mashed squash. It still tasted good and soup is a nice change now and again so I guess it depends on how you want to do it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.