Gingered Butternut Squash
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Place squash in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, beat squash with butter and syrup. Beat in the ginger, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Gradually add cream until blended. Transfer to a serving bowl; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 180 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 9g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 2, 2014
Needed more flavor, added brown sugar but it didn't help much.
Nov 18, 2012
We loved this dish!
Nov 27, 2011
If I make these again I would make sure to hand mash them instead of using a beater. With the beater, it became more of a soup then being mashed squash. It still tasted good and soup is a nice change now and again so I guess it depends on how you want to do it.