Gingerbread with Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
Holiday treats should always be full of surprises, like this unusual pairing of ginger and lime flavors in a moist and tender gingerbread. —Charlene Chambers, Ormond Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg, molasses, water and ginger. In another bowl, whisk together flour, spices, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Beat cream cheese, lime zest, lime juice and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until blended; cover and reserve 3/4 cup mixture for frosting. Drop remaining mixture by tablespoonfuls over batter; cut through batter with a knife to blend slightly (mixture will not swirl).
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in cake portion comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spread with frosting; sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 505 calories, 29g fat (17g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Gingerbread with Lime Pecan Cream Cheese Icing in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015