Holiday treats should always be full of surprises, like this unusual pairing of ginger and lime flavors in a moist and tender gingerbread. —Charlene Chambers, Ormond Beach, Florida
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg, molasses, water and ginger. In another bowl, whisk together flour, spices, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Beat cream cheese, lime peel, lime juice and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until blended; cover and reserve 3/4 cup mixture for frosting. Drop remaining mixture by tablespoonfuls over batter; cut through batter with a knife to blend slightly (mixture will not swirl).
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in cake portion comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spread with frosting; sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Gingerbread with Lime Cream Cheese Icing in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p74