Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce Recipe
From Panguitch, Utah, Lucile Proctor shares a very moist spiced cake that's topped with an old-fashioned-tasting lemon sauce. "The simple dessert is incredibly quick to make, so it's perfect for drop-in guests," she assures.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses and water. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. microwave-safe pie plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 5-6 minutes, rotating a quarter turn every 2 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover with waxed paper; let stand for 5 minutes. Remove waxed paper and invert onto a serving plate.
- 3. In a 1-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, butter and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until butter is melted and mixture begins to boil; stir.
- 4. Add a small amount to egg; beat well. Return all to the bowl. Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stir in lemon juice and peel. Cook 45 seconds longer or until slightly thickened. Serve with the gingerbread. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 405 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC