Gingerbread with Chantilly Cream
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup molasses
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- CHANTILLY CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in water and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 33-37 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Serve with warm gingerbread.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 427 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 368mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 7, 2012
Maybe it's just because I have a sweet tooth, but to me this gingerbread was just not sweet enough with only 3 tablespoons total of sugar. Plus the molasses flavor was very overpowering to where you can barely taste the spices. I didn't make the cream with it so I don't know if it helps any, but i used Redi Whip instead since I had it on hand.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.