Gingerbread with Chantilly Cream
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup molasses
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- CHANTILLY CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in water and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 33-37 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Serve with warm gingerbread.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 427 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 368mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 7, 2012
Maybe it's just because I have a sweet tooth, but to me this gingerbread was just not sweet enough with only 3 tablespoons total of sugar. Plus the molasses flavor was very overpowering to where you can barely taste the spices. I didn't make the cream with it so I don't know if it helps any, but i used Redi Whip instead since I had it on hand.