Gingerbread with Brown Sugar Sauce
THE AROMA OF gingerbread is what I remember most about my grandmother's kitchen, and it meant dessert would be special. That was nearly 50 years ago, but whenever I catch a whiff of ginger and cinnamon, I'm back with Grandmother and the happiness I knew. -Toni Hamm, Vandergrift, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- BROWN SUGAR SAUCE:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg until blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt; add to the molasses mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, water and vinegar; stir until smooth. Add butter. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Serve with the gingerbread.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 395 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Gingerbread with Brown Sugar Sauce in Reminisce November/December 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.