Our family enjoys all types of waffles, but these are our favorite. They're softer than traditional waffles and the combination of spices provides a unique flavor. —Ann Nace, Perkasie, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes6 waffles (about 4 inches)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup chopped raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Assorted fresh fruit, butter and maple syrup
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, mustard and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and egg yolk until fluffy. Add buttermilk, molasses and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Add raisins. In a small bowl, beat egg white and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Top as desired.
Nutrition Facts2 waffles: 521 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 830mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Gingerbread Waffles in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.