Our family enjoys all types of waffles, but these are our favorite. They're softer than traditional waffles and the combination of spices provides a unique flavor. —Ann Nace, Perkasie, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes6 waffles (about 4 inches)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup chopped raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Assorted fresh fruit, butter and maple syrup
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, mustard and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and egg yolk until fluffy. Add buttermilk, molasses and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Add raisins. In a small bowl, beat egg white and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Top as desired.
Nutrition Facts2 waffles: 521 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 830mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Gingerbread Waffles in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook