Gingerbread Waffles with Cream Cheese Topping
Fans of gingerbread cookies will love these waffles! The breakfast treat features a delicious blend of molasses and spices. Add a dollop of the cream cheese frosting to make this wake-up specialty extra indulgent.—Jannine Fisk, Malden, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes16 waffles (1-1/3 cups topping)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, beat brown sugar and egg yolks until blended; beat in the buttermilk, butter, molasses and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla and salt. Serve waffles with topping and maple syrup.
To Make Ahead: Topping can be made a day in advance. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 557 calories, 27g fat (17g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 755mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Gingerbread Belgian Waffles with Cream Cheese Icing Drizzle in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.