This old-fashioned gingerbread cake is excellent. Lemon zest is a nice addition to the sweet cream cheese frosting. —Ginger Hendricksen of Plover, WI
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Chopped crystallized ginger, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of 3 greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease parchment.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 egg at a time. Gradually beat in molasses. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, spices and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove parchment. Cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese, butter and lemon zest until blended; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread or pipe 2/3 cup frosting between each layer. Top with remaining frosting. If desired, sprinkle with crystallized ginger. Store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 612 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 571mg sodium, 97g carbohydrate (71g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Gingerbread Torte in Quick Cooking November/December 2004