Kids of all ages will be delighted to see these roly-poly teddy bears adorning your holiday table! I've been using this gingerbread recipe for as long as I can remember.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, brown sugar, shortening, molasses, eggs, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Beat on high speed until combined. Beat in remaining flour. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Shape dough into 12 balls, 1-3/4 in. each; 12 balls, 1-1/4 in. each; 72 balls, 1/2 in. each; and 60 balls, 3/8 in. each. Place the 1-3/4-in. balls on three foil-lined baking sheets for the body of 12 bears; flatten to 1/2-in. thickness.
- Attach six 1/2-in. balls to each bear for arms, legs and ears. Attach four 3/8-in. balls for paws. Attach one 3/8-in. ball for nose. Add chocolate chips for eyes and belly buttons.
- Make three cuts halfway through the dough on the end of each paw; make an indentation in each ear with a wooden spoon handle.
- Bake at 350° for 12-16 minutes or until set. Cool for 10 minutes before carefully removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely (cookies will be fragile while warm).
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.