Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes1 dozen (1 cup lemon curd)
- LEMON CURD:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 5 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter and lemon peel until blended. Pour into a large bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt and cloves. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil and molasses until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm with lemon curd.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 271 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 22, 2016
I made just the muffins, not the lemon curd. The muffins were great - not too heavy, with just the right amount of spice. I will definitely make these again!
May 26, 2011
I can only rate the muffins, as I did not make the lemon curd. I found the muffins to have a nice flavor, but they were dry and heavy. I will keep searching for a good gingerbread muffin recipe.
Apr 12, 2011
We really liked these, but the lemon curd is what makes them more than average. My daughter and I adore the lemon curd, but my son won't eat it because it has egg yolks in it. However, he thought they were very good without it.
May 24, 2010
The muffins turned out pretty well. I didn’t have standard molasses, so I substituted 1/2 blackstrap molasses and 1/2 honey. These have a nice flavor, and the texture was better than my previous gingerbread muffin recipe. I did not care for the lemon curd, however. I'd rather have the warm muffins with butter.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.