Gingerbread Hazelnut Biscotti
My biscotti won a blue ribbon at our county fair. It even changed my best friend's mind about biscotti, which she thought was nothing more than stale bread. They have a great gingerbread flavor and are crunchy on the outside and chewy in the center. —Karen Pavlov, Canfield, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Cook: 35 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup white baking chips
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. Place 1/2 cup oats in a small food processor; cover and process until ground. Stir remaining oats and ground oats into flour mixture. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, molasses, oil and vanilla; gradually beat into flour mixture. Stir in hazelnuts and raisins (dough will be thick).
- Divide dough in half. Using lightly floured hands, shape each into a 12x2-in. rectangle on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on pans on wire racks 8-10 minutes or until firm.
- Transfer baked rectangles to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 3/4-in. slices. Return to baking sheets, cut side down.
- Bake 5-6 minutes on each side or until firm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt baking chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over biscotti; let stand until set. Store between pieces of waxed paper in airtight containers.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 116 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.