When I spread these spicy gingerbread rounds with my lemony cream-cheese frosting, I knew I had a hit. Cardamom and allspice add a hint of chai tea flavor. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
Recommended: 30 Classic Christmas Cookies to Spread Holiday Cheer
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, allspice, lemon peel and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until tops are cracked. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, peel and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cookies. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Gingerbread Cookies with Lemon Frosting in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p63