When I spread these spicy gingerbread rounds with my lemony cream-cheese frosting, I knew I had a hit. Cardamom and allspice add a hint of chai tea flavor. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
Recommended: 35 Cookie Recipes You Need in Your Collection
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. In another bowl, whisk the next eight ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until tops are cracked, 8-10 minutes. Cool 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cookies. Refrigerate in an airtight container. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Gingerbread Cookies with Lemon Frosting in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p63