I created this recipe for two simple reasons: I love caramel, and I love molasses! Combining those ingredients resulted in my new favorite candy. —Wendy Rusch, Trego, WI
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
Makesabout 2 pounds
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 9-in. square baking pan with foil; grease foil with 2 teaspoons butter.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine cubed butter, brown sugar, milk, molasses, corn syrup, ginger, allspice, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft –ball stage).
- Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook and stir until thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Immediately pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm, about 4 hours or overnight. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan; remove foil. Using a buttered knife, cut caramel into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends.
- To Make Ahead: Store wrapped caramels in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Freeze option: Place wrapped caramels in an freezer container and freeze. Thaw at room temperature.
Originally published as Spicy Molasses Caramels in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.