I created this recipe for two simple reasons: I love caramel, and I love molasses! Combining those ingredients resulted in my new favorite candy. —Wendy Rusch, Trego, WI
Recommended: 44 of Our Most Gooey Caramel Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 9-in. square baking pan with foil; grease foil with 2 teaspoons butter.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine cubed butter, brown sugar, milk, molasses, corn syrup, ginger, allspice, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft –ball stage).
- Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook and stir until thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Immediately pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm, about 4 hours or overnight. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan; remove foil. Using a buttered knife, cut caramel into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends.
- To Make Ahead: Store wrapped caramels in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Freeze option: Place wrapped caramels in an freezer container and freeze. Thaw at room temperature. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Originally published as Gingerbread Caramels in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p149