Pleasantly-spiced gingerbread and crunchy nuts are the stars in this stunning dessert. Top the delectable delight with spiced whipped cream frosting. —Sarah Hatter, Brodhead, Wisconsin
Recommended: 50 Swoon-Worthy Layered Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger and salt; gradually beat into milk mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup of the whipped cream. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup pecans. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer, whipped cream and nuts. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Gingerbread Cake with Whipped Cream Frosting in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p81