Our Test Kitchen updated this moist, delicious classic with a zippy lemon sauce that complements the cake's delicate ginger flavor.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, applesauce, molasses and butter; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; add batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter until melted. Add the lemon juice, lemon peel and food coloring if desired; mix well. Serve with cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce in Light & Tasty December/January 2007, p51