These lightly spiced festive gingerbread fellows are great to munch on. And if I punch a hole in the cutout shapes before baking, I can use the sturdy cookies as tree ornaments, too. —Dore' Merrick Grabski, Utica, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar icing, red-hot candies and miniature chocolate chips, optional
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add molasses and egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 4-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 144 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Gingerbread Boys in Country Woman Christmas 2001