Gingerbread Boy Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Decorating icing, nonpareils, red-hot candies or candies of your choice, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, molasses and vinegar; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm. Stir in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; stir into molasses mixture to form a soft dough.
- 2. Divide dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Decorate as desired. Yield: 3-4 dozen.
1 cookie (calculated without optional ingredients): 64 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Gingerbread Boy Cookies
"These cookies were easy to roll, but that's about the only good thing about them. They don't have much flavor and they got very hard. I did not overbake them. It was a waste of time and ingredients."
"This has been my go to recipe since 2008. I love that it doesn't use shortening. It makes a firm cookie that tastes s good as it looks. Thank you so much for a recipe that has made tradition status at our house."
"These are horrible! I have no idea why others think these are great cookies. They are MOLASSES cookies, not gingerbread. No kid would want to eat these. I gave it one star because the texture is nice, but the flavor is so disappointing."
"Holly Cow! This is the best gingerbread boy recipe ever! I have been looking for this one a long time. I flooded them with royal icing to make snowmen. They are already all gone :("
"We made these last year and again this year because they were so good! Many gingerbread cookies are so spicy and hard, but these were soft and chewy with a nice amount of spice."
"Made these cookies for a hunger benefit cookie walk. Was a bit skeptical since I have never cooked ingredients like this recipe recommended. The dough was soft but after chilling rolled out perfectly. Didn't lose a single gingerbread boy in the cutting. If I were making them for me I would have added more spices but most people aren't as accustomed to the ginerbread flavors as I am. I was not able to decorate mine quite as pretty as yours ~ but they looked good enough to eat. Thanks for sharing a great traditional cookie recipe. Christmas blessings!"
"I don't eat gingerbread cookies just not my thing.. i made this one with my kids and i just had to try it and i have to tell you that this recipes is amazing i loved it..i didn;t have to add or take away anything it was fine the way it is ,,, thanks for sharing your recipe with us"