Gingerbread Boy and Girl Cakes
For an adorable cake to serve at a child's birthday party, try this recipe. They are not only cute but delicious gingerbread cakes.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups molasses
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 3-1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Red, gold and brown paste food coloring
- 4 brown M&M's
- Pastry tips-round #7 and star #16
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a bowl, combine the molasses and water. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture. Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan lined with waxed paper. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes; invert onto a wire rack. Remove waxed paper; cool completely.
- In a bowl, cream shortening, butter and vanilla. Beat in confectioners' sugar and milk. Place 1/2 cup of frosting each in two bowls. Tint one red and leave the other white. Place 1/4 cup frosting in another bowl; tint gold. Place 1 cup of frosting in another bowl; tint dark tan.
- Trace patterns onto waxed paper as directed and cut out. With a sharp knife, cut around patterns on gingerbread. Transfer cutouts onto a 16x11-in. covered board.
- With tan frosting, frost girl's head, upper torso and bottom edge and boy's head, arms and legs. With gold, frost boy's overalls and make a heart centered at girl's waistline. Frost hear skirt red.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip. Fill with remaining red frosting. Pipe buttons on boy, bow on girl and smile on both.
- Prepare another bag; insert star tip and fill with white frosting. On both boy and girl, pipe a zigzag border at neckline and 1 in. from the tip of each arm. On the girl, pipe above and below the skirt and 1/4 in. from her feet. On the boy, pipe 1/4 in. from the top of his head, below shorts and 1/2 in. from the bottom of his feet. Insert M&M's for eyes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 538 calories, 23g fat (8g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 329mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Gingerbread Boy and Girl Cakes in Crafting Traditions November/December 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.