Ginger Yeast Muffins
These feather-light muffins are loaded with the old-fashioned flavor of ginger. They're best enjoyed the same day they're made. —Geneva Wood, Granada, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- In another bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses until smooth. Add the yeast mixture. Combine cinnamon, salt, baking soda, ginger and remaining flour; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in nuts.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.