Ginger-Walnut Bundt Cake
My husband Ken loves this bundt cake with its bits of crystallized ginger. Feel free to drizzle it with a vanilla glaze. —Nancy Zimmerman, Cape May Court House, NJ
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup light molasses
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Additional chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, coffee, oil, molasses and sour cream. Add eggs; beat until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into molasses mixture. Stir in walnuts and crystallized ginger.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, lemon zest and enough lemon juice to reach a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cake; sprinkle with additional crystallized ginger.
Editor’s Note: To remove cakes easily, use solid shortening to grease plain and fluted tube pans. To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 465 calories, 20g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 369mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Ginger Bundt Cake in Taste of Home November 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.