My husband Ken loves this bundt cake with its bits of crystallized ginger. Feel free to drizzle it with a vanilla glaze. —Nancy Zimmerman, Cape May Court House, NJ
Recommended: 30 Decadent Cakes for Thanksgiving
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup light molasses
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Additional chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, coffee, oil, molasses and sour cream. Add eggs; beat until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into molasses mixture. Stir in walnuts and crystallized ginger.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, lemon peel and enough lemon juice to reach a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cake; sprinkle with additional crystallized ginger. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Ginger-Walnut Bundt Cake in Taste of Home November 2015, p82