Ginger & Spice Butternut Squash
I came up with this side dish one year while cooking Christmas dinner with my mom. The spiced-up squash is sweet and comforting.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine squash and oil. Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until squash is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over squash; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 342 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 10g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Gingersnappy Butternut Squash in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.