Ginger Pear Pie
My mother, who collected many recipes over the years, made this delicious pie often. It's wonderful served warm with a scoop of ice cream on top.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4 large pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch and ginger. Stir in the water, corn syrup, lemon juice and zest until smooth. Gently stir in pears. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add butter. Pour into pastry shell.
- For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and ginger in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over pears. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 525 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 81g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Ginger Pear Pie in Country Extra September 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.