Ginger Pear Pie
My mother, who collected many recipes over the years, made this delicious pie often. It's wonderful served warm with a scoop of ice cream on top.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4 large pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch and ginger. Stir in the water, corn syrup, lemon juice and zest until smooth. Gently stir in pears. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add butter. Pour into pastry shell.
- For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and ginger in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over pears. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is browned. Cool on a wire rack.