- 5-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled fresh pears (about 10 medium)
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) pectin for lower sugar recipes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rinse seven 1-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly. In a Dutch oven, combine pears, pectin, lemon juice, lemon peel and ginger. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Immediately fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours.
- Jam is now ready to use. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze extra containers up to 12 months. Thaw frozen jam in refrigerator before serving. Yield: 7 cups.
Reviews forGinger Pear Freezer Jam
"I had some pears that I needed to use up and was looking for a new recipe. I decided to try this and am I glad I did.... this is outstanding!!! Followed the recipe exactly and wouldn't change a thing.... I even licked the spoon. I will be adding this to my recipe book... thanks for sharing!!!"