Ginger Mashed Veggies
“My best friend, Helen Gilpin, shared this delicious recipe with me,” writes Ella Mae Hoefling of New Brunswick, New Jersey. This light and nutritious side is bursting with fall flavor!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 small carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place the sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash with the remaining ingredients.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 152 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Molasses Mashed Sweet Potatoes in Light & Tasty October/November 2007