These soft delicious cookies were a favorite of my son, who passed away years ago. I think of him each time I make them and know your family will enjoy them, too.
Recommended: 50 Festive Christmas Brunch Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Additional sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in molasses. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt and ginger; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion to 1/4-in. thickness. With a sharp knife, make cuts 1-1/2 in. apart in one direction, then make diagonal cuts 1-1/2 on. apart in the opposite direction. Generously sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-11 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 7 dozen.
Originally published as Ginger Diamonds in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p82