VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons honey
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk just until moistened. Stir in currants and ginger. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Drizzle with honey. Serve warm. Yield: 4 scones.
Originally published as Ginger Currant Scones in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009, p31