Ginger Currant Scones
Sheila Parker of Reno, Nevada adds loads of currants to her flaky, attractive scones. Served warm with a drizzle of honey, these gingery treats are a welcome addition to breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons honey
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk just until moistened. Stir in currants and ginger. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Drizzle with honey. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 485 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 414mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.