Ginger-Cranberry Chutney Spread
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 package (12 ounces) cranberries
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup thawed unsweetened apple juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- In a saucepan, heat water and ginger until the water is evaporated. Stir in the cranberries, apple, sugar, apple juice concentrate, raisins, lemon juice, orange zest and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator. Serve 1 cup of chutney over each package of cream cheese. Spread on crackers.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 178 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fruit.
Nov 25, 2014
I stumbled upon this recipe several years ago. It has become an annual holiday tradition for Thanksgiving and Christmas. My husband gets ridiculously excited when I announce I am making it again, usually right before Thanksgiving. It pairs wonderfully with turkey as well as the crackers and cream cheese mentioned in the recipe. Super easy to make and smells amazing!! I usually like to alter recipes according to my individual preferences, but this one doesn't need a thing changed! It also makes a great neighbor gift for Christmas.