Ginger Cranberry Bars
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract. Beat in flour until crumbly.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat cranberry sauce and ginger. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and remaining extract on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread cranberry mixture over crust. Spread meringue over cranberry layer; sprinkle with almonds.
- Increase heat to 400°. Bake for 14-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers.
Dec 19, 2016
Very good cookie! Nice crust, and meringue makes them so pretty. One of my new 12 recipes for this Christmas cookie plate. Varied second batch with one can cranberry sauce and 1 cup orange marmalade. Great.
Nov 14, 2011
I would have given this 5 stars except for the meringue. It did not taste well on the 2nd day. I think it was excellent through the cranberry topping. next time I would end it here and serve with whipped cream and almonds.