- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons candied or crystallized ginger, chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract. Beat in flour until crumbly.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat cranberry sauce and ginger. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and remaining extract on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread cranberry mixture over crust. Spread meringue over cranberry layer; sprinkle with almonds.
- Increase heat to 400°. Bake for 14-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forGinger Cranberry Bars
"I would have given this 5 stars except for the meringue. It did not taste well on the 2nd day. I think it was excellent through the cranberry topping. next time I would end it here and serve with whipped cream and almonds."