- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup canned bamboo shoots, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the egg white, soy sauce, cornstarch and pepper. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. For sauce, combine the cornstarch, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar until smooth; set aside.
- Drain chicken and discard marinade. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir-fry green pepper and onions in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add bamboo shoots and ginger; stir-fry 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir sauce mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and heat through. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forGinger Chicken
"only okay. not overly thrilling"
"I made this with Mom's Fried Rice. Mmm, mmmmm, mmmmm, delicious."
"We loved this recipe. I made only a few changes. I omitted the green pepper and added 1/2 cup water chestnuts. I also made an extra half of the sauce, but I think next time I will just double it. I will be making this again!"
"Very good in flavor. Next time I think I will double the sauce, not quite enough for me."
"easy way to make a tasty Asian inspired dish."
"This dish has an excellent flavor and I think just about any vegetables could be substituted in place of the ones in the recipe and it would still be delicious."
"Excellent dish! Because I was out of soy sauce, I substituted teriyaki sause (omitted the sugar) and also added water chestnuts! Yummy!"
"This was excellent. However I added 1/2 cup chardonnay to the pan and cooked the juices down at the end of browning the chicken to give it a little moisture. I also added 1/2 c chardonny at the end of sauteeing the vegetables to loosen bits and pieces of vegetables and chicken from the bottom of the pan to get all the chicken flavor."
"Can really only taste the ginger. Not very flavorful otherwise."
"I do not like chicken (the person I live with does) but this is delicious and I will fix again and again."