The puffy golden batter and hint of spices in this recipe makes the moist chicken irresistible. Folks who sample this can't believe it's so simple to prepare.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- GINGER BATTER:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Place chicken pieces in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and rosemary; add water. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken to paper towels. Cool 10 minutes; remove skin and pat dry. In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 350°.
- For batter, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and ginger. Add the egg, milk and oil; beat until smooth. Dip chicken, one piece at a time, in batter. Fry chicken in hot oil for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Ginger Batter Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p33