Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat well. Beat in water and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt; add to molasses mixture and mix well.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 213 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jun 23, 2017
These bars bake up nicely with a wonderful flavor!
Jun 29, 2016
This recipe is not for bars; this is a cake. Basically gingerbread, but with flavorless shortening and lacking in spices.
Oct 6, 2015
I followed the recipe to the letter but it was more like cake and it was so bland to the taste. The smell baking it was wonderful but I was disappointed with the end result.
Jun 14, 2015
My husband enjoys these bars. They impart a wonderful aroma as they bake. I sometimes drizzle them with a lemon or vanilla glaze,
Nov 20, 2012
I make these for my husband several times a month and he loves them. So moist and easy to make! I add instant coffee to the water which deepens the flavor and have also added chocolate chips. SO good!
Nov 15, 2011
I have made these several times and they always come out great! Very tasty and easy to make.